Monday, March 26, 2012

growing up

This past weekend I was doing my schedule for my first semester of senior year. I cant even believe Im about to be a senior. Where has the time gone?! I cant say I'm upset or sad that school is somewhat coming to a close cause I honestly want to start my next chapter in life. No lie I am nervous as fuck about it though haha

Right now, I'm kind of stuck on what will happen. June 1st is a big deadline date for me. By that time, I have to my all my paperwork in and have passed the GMAT in order to start my grad school program. My senior year right now is planned to contain master classes. Im doing a 3-2 program which allows me to get my masters in a year because it combines my senior year with grad school. For this to take effect, I have to pass the GMAT which seems pretty hard from the book I got to study. It sucks cause I have to study for that test and take it relatively soon so that means additional stuff to study during school. My semester ends the 5th here and on the 7th is when I start my first day of my summer long internship (another thing that im extra nervous for). I'll be working for a bank and within the division of my major. It will for sure be a good learning opportunity that Im pretty pumped for but it just sucks that I wont be able to go home at all during the summer.

So yeah, its crazy I started this thing second semester of my freshman year and not out to anyone and now Im almost a senior and out a number of people. No way I would of pictured where Im at right now when I started this thing.

Got two questions for anyone who wants to comment... 1) Has anyone taken the GMAT recently or know of anyone who has and have any thoughts about it? I dont know what to expect besides an SAT on steroids. 2) From my post saying I want to help others who are afraid or questioning to come out, would it be worth it to write to outsports to tell my story. I mean Im not even fully out so not sure if it would be worth it and they have plenty of athlete stories that are way better than mine haha...so leave a comment if you life, it would be appreciated

take it easy eveyone

11 comments:

  1. Socrkid: Having Outsports share your story would be incredibly brave, but think carefully whether you really want to attract that kind of attention. It would be an inspiration to other gay sports guys but could also limit your potential if you wanted to get into soccer as a career. Major sports still is not welcoming to gay guys. I'm conflicted, I don't want to see you get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second fan of casey. Maybe in the future it could be a good idea if you're still up for sharing your experiences, but for now, it may not be the best move. Nevertheless, if you truly believe it's something you want share then by all means go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the GMATs, although a bit ago, but I'm sure not much has changed. Hit me up if you want, you got my email I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is your major? TAKE a look at your GPA. The courses you have shown continued weakness in are the sections you will want to spend more time on. The SATs are harder. You have been taking test for a long time. :)

    I took the mcat and LSAT. I could never decide things back then. Hormones ruled the day.


    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is off topic, but I think the title "double life" no longer applies. "Getting comfortable in your own skin" seems pretty appropriate. I love the new confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd probably end up with a million stalkers if you did an Outsports story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do whats best for you man. Talk to some of your buddies, the ones that know about you and see what they have to say. Everyone's made pretty valid points here. I've seen some pretty great stories from college lax and tennis players in new england and they've overall had a pretty positive experience from being fully out. Start writing something and just save it to your comp, don't have to send it yet but at least you'll get a feeling for whether or not this is something you actually want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. think it would be sick if you did an outsports article. would be pretty huge step, imagine you'd probably wanna finish telling anyone who you haven't already before considering it tho. internet's a big place and once its out there can't take it back so as long as your school & team is cool with it would be so awesome. better yet ask brandon how he felt

    ReplyDelete
  9. also... freshman year... holy shit man hahaha #Oct17

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the comments. All very important things to keep in mind and those were the main reasons why i havent done it. I do think it would be cool and hopefully beneficial to others, but I dont want to be outed by it. I think my soccer career will end at the end of college but still dont want the gay thing to creep in my business profession... And as for the GMAT, im gonna take a practice test to try it out. Hopefully that will give me a solid idea of what to expect and what I need to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I echo Fan of Casey's concerns, but for different reasons. If you are playing at a private religious school, your legal protections are less than they would be at a public school. Some religious colleges and universities do not allow GLBT groups on campus. Others out and out require that GLBT people remain celibate, or at least quiet about their orientation. In short, you do not want to run afoul of the school's rules.

    ReplyDelete